What should your priority be in a Divorce?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Finding Inspiration in "Almost Famous"

So.

I'm flying home yesterday from Minneapolis, and I'm sort of vegetating, a little bit tired, and I start watching "Almost Famous" on my computer. Truly one of my favorite movies, I've watched it about 50 times, but, I thought, I'll watch it again

And as I watch it, there is a scene between the young rock journalist with Rolling Stone (William Miller) and the lead guitarist for the band he is following (Russell Hammond), and the exchange that struck me was one where Russell was expressing his concern for his band being "exposed" by William's ability to see them as they really are, and not as they like to see themselves. During a quiet moment between the two of them, Russell makes this observation to William:


You're dangerous.. you see everything.
Most people, they're just waiting to talk. You listen.

Seems simple doesn't it? But in our work, I think it is perhaps quite profound.

As lawyers, we like to "explain" and "advise". And if we're not careful, we can get into a collaborative meeting and the two lawyers can dominate the conversation - with good intentions, but, well, there you have it.

We need to take William Miller's lead. We need to do more than "wait for our chance to talk." To be truly "dangerous" in attacking our client's problems, to be effective, we need to listen. We need to "see everything." Our talk needs to be less explanation and advice and more open, curious, questioning. To learn about our clients, and, through us, help them learn about themselves - what they need, what their interests are.

So - lesson learned from "Almost Famous".

..oh, and to borrow from another character in the movie, William's mother, Elaine Miller, as she exhorts Russell to move beyond his world of rock and roll "Valhalla decadence" and to aspire to something more:

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."

No comments:

Post a Comment